Illinois State has a number of training schools and medical facilities. There are more than 130 training schools and more than 200 medical hospitals and healthcare centers in the state. With such a huge number of centers and training facilities the number of job openings for the CNA (Certified Nurse Aide) increase exponentially. Certified Nurse Aide is the entry level training program similar to the LPN program but with a wide variance.
The Illinois CNA training programs are 1- year long training sessions which provide sound knowledge on various health and medical topics including medical terminology, pharmacology, pediatrics, nurse-patient relationship, moral values of nursing and much more. These are inexpensive and short duration programs. The training programs comprises of minimum 40 hours of clinical training and 80 hours of classroom training. A nurse aide must possess temperate habits and a character full of good moral values.
The eligibility criteria levied by the state nursing board specifies following pre-requisites for the enrollment in nurse aide training program:-
• Candidate must be minimum 16 years older.
• High school graduation/GED is must.
• A background check is done as per the Health Care Worker Background Check act.
• Residency proof of 2 years is required. In case you have been employed somewhere else before, then you need to have a copy of documents regarding your previous employment.
The training program is followed by a competency exam which is conducted by the SIU-C (Southern Illinois University- Carbondale). You can appear for the examination thrice but in case you fail every time, then your earlier training program will be cancelled and you will have to go through another training internship session again. The training programs provide supervised training and clinical experience. The license expires after 2 years after which you need to go through the renewal process regarding your nurse aide licensure as levied by the state authorities.
Here is a list of some of the training schools in the State of Illinois:-
• Vintage Training Institute, Wheaton
• IL Central College – Peking South Campus
• Health Care Training Institute, Canton
• Spoon River College, Canton
• IL Central College – Heritage Manor – Chillicothe, Peoria
• Spoon River College – McDonough District Hospital
• Midwest Technical Institute – East Peoria
• Marengo Community High School, Marengo
• College of Lake County, Grayslake
• McHenry County College, Crystal Lake
• Health Career Institute, Des Plaines
• Spoon River Home Health Care, Farmington
• Pekin Community High School
• Academy of Healthcare Training, Franklin Park
• ERS Inc. Staffing and Health Care Services, Peoria
• Kishwaukee College, Malta
• ICC at Eureka Apostolic Christian Home, Peoria
• Dupage Area Occupation Educ. System, Addison
• Presbyterian Homes/The Moorings Health Ctr, Arlington Heights
• A Plus Healthcare Training, Barlett
• Achievers Healthcare Training Center, Inc, Carol Stream
• J’Renee Career Facilitation, Inc., Crystal Lake
• Solex College, Wheeling
• JETHRO Healthcare School and Placement Svcs., Des Plaines
• Elgin Community College
• Larkin High School, Elgin
• Presbyterian Homes/Westminster Place, Evanston
• Marklund Home, Geneva
• Fox Valley Career Center, Maple Park
• William Rainey Harper College, Palatine
• Omega Healthcare Technical School – Gurnee
• Samland Institute of Allied Health-Park Ridge
• Triton College, River Grove
• Oakton Community College RHC, Skokie
• School District U-46 South Elgin High School